This recipe is based on April Bloomfield's recipe. I was looking at her book (A girl and her pig) at a friend's house the other day and this salad recipe started screaming at me: "try me! try me!" Yes, sometimes books can talk. You should listen more carefully.
The lightly warm roasted carrots combine with orange, avocado and cilantro is perfect ! What a great way to eat something healthy yet tasty after a food feast made of caramel cookies and chocolate fondant, eh?
- 15 young carrots, unpeeled, half of the green tops left on
- 1 big orange
- 2 small avocados
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbs pumpkin seeds
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven at 200°C (400°F)
- Clean and cut your carrots (like you would a lemon) leaving half of the green top on them.
- Pound garlic with a large pinch of salt until you have a smooth paste.
- In a bowl, stir: 2 tbsp olive oil + garlic paste + cumin + pepper flakes + pumpkin seeds.
- Place carrots in a large baking dish in a single layer. Add oil and spice mixture and stir. Add one large pinch of salt and toss again.
- Pour 2 tbsp of water into the baking dish.
- Cover tightly with foil and cook for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove foil and cook for 35 minutes more or until carrots are lightly browned and tender.
- While carrots cool, peel orange and segment it.
- Halve avocados lengthwise and remove peel and pits. Slice them lengthwise into thick slices.
- Put the avocado slices in a large bowl. Add lemon juice + 2 tbsp oil + a pinch of salt. Toss gently with your hands.
- Add orange slices and cool carrots. Stir very gently and arrange with cilantro on top. Serve right away.
- ET VOiLA !