No time for a video recipe this week but i'm sure you'll manage to make this leek & onion tart anyways. If not, don't hesitate to complain and i'll shoot it right away! I love tarts. It's a tasty way to eat vegetables instead of classic sad boiled ones. And it's great for a picnic or a party where you have to bring food easy to eat with fingers. I think leeks are unappreciated and it's a shame. So go get some lonely forgotten leeks and try this recipe! (and leave me some comments ;))
- one pie dough (recipe over here) just substitute sugar with chives, oregano or any herb you want.
- 4 leeks (white and pale green parts only), cleaned and chopped.
- 1 big onion, chopped
- chives or dried thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 300ml (1+1/4 cup) cream (i'm sure buttermilk works as well)
- a handful of grated gruyère cheese (optional)
- salt & pepper
- Prepare your pie dough and leave to rest for a bit.
- Preheat your oven at 175°C (350°F).
- Over medium high heat, cook onions for 2-3 mintues in olive oil.
- Add leeks and chives (or thyme). Add salt and pepper. Cook until leeks are very tender but not brown, about 12-15 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Roll out your dough in your round bakingpan. Butter pan before or use parchement paper (much easier to take the tart out afterwards)
- In a bowl, whisk together: cream + eggs + cheese (if using) + nutmeg.
- Mix in cooled leek and onion mixture.
- Pour into rolled out pie dough.
- Bake the tart for 30 minutes, checking after 15 it's not getting to dark. If it is, lower oven temperature. A knife inserted in the middle should help you know if it's cooked.
- Transfer to rack and cool for a few minutes.
- ET VOiLA !